At times when I need plated desserts with impact but are also very quick to make I reach for Feuilles De Brick. The paper thin, non brittle and very easy to handle leaves are full of possibilities. No matter what time of year I always put them to good use. Since Feuilles De Brick have a very slight salty edge to them I ensure that whatever I pair them with will perfectly harmonize. In this featured dessert I fill the Feuilles De Brick with caramelized apples along with a passion fruit beurre blanc.
Apples and passion fruit is one of my favorite combinations. The floral exotic tones of passion fruit combined with its acidity works exceptionally well with caramelized apples. Warm served apple desserts love the company of a creamy sauce or ice cream and that’s why I serve these apple purses with a passion fruit beurre blanc.
For many but not all of my apple desserts I reach for an equal amount of Golden delicious and Granny Smith apples. The reason is twofold, this combination makes for a good flavor and acidity balance and these apple varieties are available year round.
Getting it all together!
If desired prepare the caramelized apples a day in advance and keep refrigerated. The passion fruit beurre blanc can also be made in advance and gently reheated over a Bain Marie or microwave. The assembly of the apple dessert in Feuilles De Brick can be done in the morning and kept refrigerated until baked.
Caramelized apples in Feuille De Brick
Yield: 4 desserts
|8||(8)||Feuille De Brick leaves||8|
|As needed||(a/n)||Melted butter||a/n|
|As needed||(a/n)||Almond flour or bread crumbs||a/n|
|As needed||(a/n)||Extra fine granulated sugar||a/n|
|Recipe below||(r/b)||Caramelized apples||r/b|
- Brush a Feuille De Brick lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle sparingly with granulated sugar. Cover with another sheet of Feuille De Brick and repeat with butter and sugar.
- In the center of the sheet sprinkle with almond flour or bread crumbs. Cover with caramelized apples. Create a purse and tie with a strip of parchment paper.
- Refrigerate (To bake later) or bake immediately in a 400°F (200°C) oven until well golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with passion fruit beurre blanc and perhaps blackberry compote.
Yield: 4 desserts
|2 Tablespoons||(1 oz)||Unsalted butter||30 g|
|¼ cup||(2 oz)||Extra fine granulated sugar||60 g|
|2||(2)||Golden delicious apples||2|
|2||(2 )||Granny Smith apples||2|
|2 Tablespoons||(1 oz)||Calvados or apple liquor (Opt)||30 gram|
|¼ teaspoon||( ¼ tsp)||Vanilla bean paste||1 g|
|¼ teaspoon||( ¼ tsp)||Cinnamon||pinch|
- Peel and cut the apples in 16 equal slices do not place in acidulated water.
- In a sauté pan stir the butter and sugar over medium-high heat to a caramel. Add the apple slices and sauté the apples until fork tender. Add the liquor and flambé remove from heat and add the vanilla and cinnamon.
Passion fruit beurre blanc
Yield: 4 servings
|4 Tablespoons||(2 oz)||Unsalted butter||60 g|
|¼ Cup||(2 oz)||Passion fruit juice-puree||60 g|
|½ cup||(2 oz)||Confectioners-powdered sugar||60 g|
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and stir over a Bain Marie to about 120°F (50°C).
- When needed reheat but do not exceed the above temperatures.