Green Tea Rice Cream With Semi Candied Strawberries
Most countries in the world have some type of a desserts made with rice, often it is a type of pudding or cream. When I was a lad, my Mom would make countless versions of rice pudding but the ones I remember most vividly, contained cinnamon, vanilla and raisins. To this day, I still like rice creams or puddings. They seem to have a sense of comfort to them without being loaded with fat.
In On Baking we have a recipe for Rice cream with cherry gelée which I habitually make during the summer time. It is refreshing and when piled with fresh pitted cherries it is irresistible. Whenever we prepare Asian style foods at the house, I like to end the meal with a dessert which perfectly flows with the food. One of these is a green tea rice pudding with semi candied strawberries, this is one of my favorite green tea combinations.
Getting It All Together!
Although you can cook the rice a day ahead, I do usually cook it the day I combine it with the other ingredients. Other good flavors to add to green tea rice cream without overpowering the green tea flavor is orange, lemon, grapefruit, calamansi, rose and cherries. For the chocolate decor, mix a desired amount of sifted matcha powder with tempered white chocolate. Once spread sprinkle with prebaked streusel and cut once the chocolate is set like leather.
Green Tea Rice Cream
Yield: about 8-10 servings
|16 oz||Water||480 g|
|5 oz||Rice, short grain rinsed||150 g|
|22 oz||Milk||660 g|
|4 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||120 g|
|½ teaspoon||Vanilla bean paste||2.5 g|
|0.25 oz||Orange zest (Optional)||7 g|
|0.25 oz||Matcha-green tea powder||7.5 g|
|8 oz||Whipping cream||240 g|
|2 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||60 g|
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil and add the rice. Cover for 5 minutes and drain.
- Bring the milk, sugar, vanilla, orange zest and the drained rice to a boil. Turn to a low simmer and cook until the majority of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. (Additional moisture will be absorbed during cooling). Let cool to room temperature.
- Mix the matcha powder with a very small amount of milk and fold into the rice.
- Whip the whipping cream and sugar (B) to soft-medium and gently fold into the above.
- Fill in glasses and serve with semi candied strawberries and raspberries.
- Sprinkle the surface with baked crumble or streusel.
In this article: How to make contemporary rice pudding in a glass.