Whether cream, chocolate, Kirsch and cherries are composed into a frozen dessert or plated (as shown here) they always please. Throughout my work, I have always been interested in discovering new flavor combinations, but at the same time I have always carefully studied the classics to discover what made them enduring.
Some fruits can even be more delicious when heated or sautéed and cherries belong exactly to this family. Flambéed cherries on gelato or served with panna cotta is simply perfection.
When I select a type of chocolate cake for black forest I make sure that it can be properly moistened with Kirsch liquor syrup. Certainly a chocolate genoise or a sponge cake can be used but using a chocolate cake rich in almonds add more finesse.
- Cut a piece of chocolate cake into a desired shape. Moisten well with the Kirsch syrup.
- Place a piece of panna cotta on the cake and serve with flambéed cherries.
Chocolate Almond Cake
|9 oz + 2.5 oz||Egg whites||270 g + 75 g|
|4.5 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||135 g|
|0.2 oz||Powdered egg whites||5 g|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract||5 g|
|¼ teaspoon||Salt||1 g|
|4 oz||Powdered sugar||120 g|
|1.5 oz||Pastry flour||45 g|
|1oz||Cocoa powder||30 g|
|1oz||Melted butter||30 g|
|4 oz||Almond flour (100% almonds-Not T.P.T)||120 g
- Whip the egg whites (9 oz -75 g) to froth. Combine the granulated sugar with the powdered egg whites very well and add to whipping egg whites. Add salt and vanilla.
- Meanwhile sift together the powdered sugar, pastry flour and cocoa powder. Stir into the un-whipped egg whites (2.5 oz – 75 g) using a spatula. Once combined stir in melted butter and then almond flour.
- In increments, delicately fold in the stiff whipped egg whites. Spread on a half sheet, parchment or silicone lined sheet pan and bake at 400°F (200°C) approximately 10 minutes or until the cake bounces back when lightly pressed.
Kirsch moistening syrup
|6 fl oz||Simple syrup||180 ml|
|2 fl oz||Kirsch||60 ml|
1.Combine the ingredients.
Yield: 4 servings
|1 oz||Unsalted butter||30 g|
|1 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||30 g|
|20||Fresh pitted cherries||20|
|1.5 oz||Kirsch||45 g|
|1.5 oz||Cherry puree (optional)||45 g|
- In a sauté pan melt the butter and sugar. Add the cherries and swirl around until well heated.
- Pour the kirsch over the cherries and flambé. Remove from heat and swirl in the cherry puree. Serve immediately.