Frangelico with its deep rich aroma of hazelnuts can bring finesse to a variety of desserts. Pairing can successfully be done with grapefruit and other citrus, chocolate, coffee and several other ingredients. Mascarpone cheese is another product which makes a great combination with Frangelico. This dessert certainly winks to tiramisu although it does not contain coffee, in fact the genoise is moistened in Frangelico syrup. We in the profession know that our customers do like Tiramisu-esque desserts and therefore this one may be a good dessert for serving a large gathering of people (Hotel-Country Club events…).
Our friends at PCB creation http://www.pcb-creation.fr/ have a great amount of pastry specialty items to give desserts a special flair. The mascarpone cream featured here was poured on one of their structure sheets named matlelassees. When using such sheets ensure that your products are well frozen before removing the structure sheets to obtain a clean look. As a side, note one of the greatest North American interior designers John Saladino often uses matelassee fabric in his interior designs and the House of Chanel uses matelasee pattern on watches and more. How close indeed the world of patisserie is connected to the world of design.
|6 oz||Whipping cream (34-36 %fat)||180 g|
|4||Large egg yolks||4|
|2 oz||Water||60 g|
|3 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||90 g|
|8 oz||Mascarpone cheese||240 g|
- Place the gelatin leaves in very cold water and set aside.
- In a cold bowl whisk the whipping cream to very soft ribbon consistency. Absolutely do not whip to a peak! Set aside.
- Fill a saucepan with a small amount of water and bring to a boil and then turn to a low simmer. In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks and measured water. Add the sugar and whisk well. Place the bowl over the simmering water and whisk constantly until the yolk mixture reaches at least 165°F (74°C). Remove from heat.
- Remove the gelatin leaves from the water and squeeze well to remove excess water. Whisk the gelatin into the yolk mixture. Add the mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract and whisk smooth.
- Add the soft whipped heavy cream and gently fold into the above using a spatula. Pour onto a structure sheet fitted with a frame.
- Top with a sheet of baked genoise and moisten with Frangelico liquor.
- Once frozen remove the structure sheet and cut into desired size.
Frangelico moistening syrup
|12 oz||Simple syrup||360 ml|
|4 oz||Frangelico||120 ml|
- Combine the ingredients.