In many assortments of chocolates, the pistachio variety can be one of the most eye catching, indeed, bright green pistachios on chocolate is a very striking look. The filling of pistachio chocolates can be approached in different ways. Using almond paste as a base, which is further enhanced with pistachio paste and other ingredients is popular and delicious resulting is a texture similar as marzipan. However, not all countries in the world are fond of this particular texture and therefore another approach of pistachio chocolates may have to be used. Regardless of how you make fillings for chocolates, important to remember is that pistachio flavor can easily be lost in ganache made of bitter dark chocolate.
The pistachio chocolates recipe featured here is made using cream, pistachios, white chocolate and Dumante pistachio liqueur. Instead of pistachios a good quality unsweetened pure pistachio paste can also be used. Adding aromatized pistachio paste is an option if yet a stronger pistachio flavor is desired. The pistachio chocolates featured on the photos are made without green food color, if a greener color is desired add coloring after adding Dumante pistachio liqueur.
|350 g||Heavy cream||12 oz|
|225 g||Pistachios (non salted)||7.5 oz|
|pinch||Fleur de sel||Pinch|
|60 g||Invert sugar||2 oz|
|700 g||White chocolate, small pieces||24 oz|
|60 g||Dumante pistachio Liqueur||2 oz|
|As needed||Semis sweet chocolate for enrobing||As needed|
- In a saucepan bring to boil cream, pistachios, fleur de sel and invert sugar. Remove from heat and pour into a well made blender. Mix until very smooth paste is obtained. Add Dumante pistachio liqueur.
- Remove from blender and stir in chocolate. If part of chocolate refuses to melt completely, place bowl for 5-10 seconds at a time in microwave oven.
- Pour pistachio ganache between confectionary rulers.
- Allow crystallizing for 18-24 hours slightly below 20°C (70°F). Do NOT refrigerate at this stage as doing so will encourage mold and bacteria growth. (W hen ganache is removed from a refrigerator condensation will form on the surface, the condensation will be trapped when ganache is dipped in tempered chocolate. It is exactly in that area where mold and bacteria start to grow.)
- Cut in desired size and enrobe in tempered dark chocolate. Decorate with pistachios.