One of the most luxurious ice cream or gelato is without a doubt pistachio. Irresistible when combined with chocolate, strawberries, apricots ….
You certainly can turn this into gelato and replace whipping cream with an equal amount of milk. Doing so will bring out a more pronounced pistachio flavor but the reduction of fat will in turn decrease conservation. (Not a problem if consumed say day as it was churned) Either way, use the amount of pistachios as indicated in this recipe to obtain a most wonderful texture and flavor.
Pistachio Ice Cream |Pistachio Gelato
|1 lb 1 oz||Milk||500 g|
|6 oz||Whipping cream||180 g|
|1.75 oz||Non fat milk powder||50 g|
|4.5 oz + 2 oz||Pistachios (non salted)||135 g + 60 g|
|2 oz||Invert sugar||60 g|
|2.5 oz + 2 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||75+ 60 g|
|0.2 oz||Ice cream stabilizer (optional)*||5 g|
|3 oz||Egg yolk||90 g|
- Bring milk, cream, milk powder, pistachios (135 g-4.5 oz), invert sugar and 75 g (2.5 oz) sugar to boil.
- Whisk 60 g (2 oz) granulated sugar and ice cream stabilizer *(if using) together and whisk rapidly in yolks until doubled in volume.
- Pour 250 ml (8 oz) of boiled mixture into yolks and whisk smooth. Pour tempered yolk mixture into remaining cream, on low heat and while constantly stirring using a rubber spatula heat to 83°C (183°F).
- Remove from heat. Pour mixture into a blender (pacotize) and mix until pistachios are superfine and green color is obtained.
- Chill immediately in ice bath. Cover and chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Lightly toast remaining pistachios in oven. Chop in medium pieces and place in freezer.
- Following day churn in pre-chilled ice cream machine. When ice cream is churned add frozen and chopped pistachios.
- Use as desired.