Piped almond petit four are much appreciated by our clients and certainly belong in a luxurious assortment of petit four. Sugar content in almond paste can vary therefore it is very important to use the right kind. Almond paste with high sugar content will result in petit four which will spread out too much during baking. For the petit four featured here use almond paste containing 63-67% almonds.
Lemon or orange zest can be added to further enhance the flavor of this delicious cookie. After baking and cooling, the petit four can be dipped in mild dark chocolate or milk chocolate. Remember that bitter chocolate can quickly overshadow the delicate almond flavor.
Almond Petit Four | Lemon Macadamia
|10 oz||Almond paste (63-67% almonds)||300 g|
|4 oz||Extra fine granulated sugar||120 g|
|1||Zest of lemon||1|
|2 oz||Egg whites||60 g|
|3 oz||Macadamia nuts||90 g|
- Combine almond paste, sugar and lemon zest in bowl fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add a very small amount of egg white and blend until smooth and no lumps remain. Add another small amount of egg whites and blend smooth. Adding egg whites too fast will result in a lumpy paste.
- Continue with egg whites until a firm yet pipeable paste is obtained, depending on initial consistency of almond paste not all egg whites may be needed. However, it is also possible that more egg white is required.
- Pipe on buttered parchment or silicone mats. Decorate with a few macadamia nut pieces. Allow to crust for 1 hour before baking.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) until light golden.